This recipe is super simple yet it looks really complicated! Also, I’ll give you al the tips so that you can surprise your guests without being a slave to the kitchen all day long! The sweetness from the corn works amazing with the saltiness of the smoked salmon and the sourness from the sour cream mixed with cream cheese. Also, that little sprig of dill gives out so much flavour! Works great with fish in general :).
So what I did is make the batter for the corn fritters the night before my lunch party and also cut the smoked salmon and mixed the sour cream with the cream cheese. So I had everything ready without stressing out! I even picked the small sprigs of dill and left them hydrating in a bit of water to return some life into it. Then, the next day I fried the fritters a couple hours before my guests arrived, and warmed them up in the oven a few minutes before. Then it was just a matter of assembling the little bites. So much better than having people at your living room and you stressing away cooking in the kitchen when you should be with them!
– 3 cups cooked corn kernels off the cob
– 1 egg
– 1 tsp baking powder
– salt and pepper to taste (I used 1 tsp salt, pinch of pepper)
– 150g flour
– 80ml milk
– zest form 2 lemons, on the finest part of the grater
– vegetable oil for frying
Sour cream and cream cheese mix:
– 125g cream cheese
– 100g sour cream
– salt and pepper to taste
– 200g smoked salmon
– dill sprigs
1. So like I said, I made the batter for the fritters the day before. You basically mix everything together and keep it in the fridge. If you’re going to use is straight away, let it rest for 30min in the fridge before frying.
2. Fry in little vegetable oil, enough to wet the base of the pan. Use med-low heat so they are nice and golden but at the same time it has time to cook the inside. When you flip them, press with your spatula so it’s flat at both sides like a pancake.
3. I actually cut these with a cutter afterwards so that they were nice and even. You have two options if you cant to do the same: you can either do 1 spoonful blobs like mine and then use the cutter on them or fry a whole tortilla size and then use your cutter.
4. Leave your cream cheese out of the fridge so it softens and then mix it with the sour cream until really smooth. If you see lumps anywhere, use and electric mixer if it’s easier for you. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Cut the salmon sheets to the size of your corn fritters.
6. Assemble! I put the corn fritter, then the salmon squares, then using a piping bag applied the cream cheese and finished with a sprig of dill.
This is a really nice appetizer, I hope you like it! Serve pretty and enjoy!