It’s been a while since I started to like grapefruits. Before I thought that it was very bitter until I tried them with caramelized sugar on top and I loved it. Since then I’ve been thinking about how it would do amazing in a panna cotta (and you can use any citrus for this recipe, although if it’s more sour, you need more sugar) and have it joined by segments of caramelized grapefruit. It doesn’t only look great (you can use any mould or ramekin you have at home) but it also has an amazing and delicate flavour 🙂
– 480ml whipping cream
– 240ml milk
– 240ml grapefruit juice (approximately 4-5 fruits)
– 2 1/2 tsp powdered gelatin + 4 tbsp water
– 170g sugar
– 2 tsp vanilla essence
For the segments
– 4 grapefruits
– 100g sugar
1. Hydrate the gelatin in the 4 tbsp of water. It’s important that the water is cold, or otherwise it ruins the gelatin.
2. Heat everything else until it just starts to boil. Then remove from the heat and dilute the gelatin in it. Pass it through a sieve to make sure there are no lumps.
3. Put it in your moulds and into the fridge at least 4 hours for small moulds. If you have individual moulds, dip them for 10 seconds in hot water without it touching the panna cotta mix, dry the outside, turn upside down on the plate and done! If you have a silicone mould with several portions, I recommend you freeze them completely, unmould by turning them inside-out and then leave them in the fridge to come to the correct temperature.
4. For the segments, peel the grapefruits, first taking the top and base out, then peeling around from top to bottom following the shape of the fruit.5. Finally, take the individual segments by cutting at either side of the membranes. Put them on baking paper and sprinkle a layer of sugar on top. You don’t have to use all the sugar in the recipe as long as you have a nice layer. This goes into the oven at 200C for 15min or until the sugar starts to caramelize and the segments have turned to a brighter reddish colour.
Let them cool down completely before you put them next to you panna cotta or it will melt them 🙂 I hope you enjoy this dessert a lot, it’s easy yet impressive, and it super tasty!