I love tiramisu, but I feel somewhat uncomfortable with the fact that it traditionally uses raw eggs to make it fluffy. And so thinking what I could do to avoid this problem without having to resort to whipped cream, I did what the French call “pate a bombe”, which is egg cooked with hot syrup (in our case only yolks) and beaten with a mixer until fluffy. And so, no raw eggs and no need to add cream which makes it heavier. Absolutely loved the results 🙂
For the pate a bombe mix:
– 4 yolks
– 60ml water
– 60ml sugar
– 250g mascarpone cheese
– 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
– 3 tbsp instant coffee
– 3 tbsp sugar
– 400ml water
– 150g ladyfingers
– 20g unsweetened cocoa powder
1. Beat the yolks until they are mixed nicely. In the meantime, bring the sugar and water to a boil and let them boil for 2min.
2. Add the syrup in a thin thread into the yolkd while beating and don’t stop until they have completely cooled down and they have become quite airy and thick.
3. Then, mix the mascarpone cheese, vanilla essence and 1/3 of the yolk mix using a whisk to equalize the textures and so then you won’t knock the air out of the yolks.
4. Finally incorporate the yolks to the mascarpone using folding movements carefully to keep the air in the mix.
5. Dissolve the soaking ingredients in a small pot and let it cool down. Dip the ladyfingers (I like them soaked all the way through) and put them at the base of your mould. I cut them in half so it would be easier.
6. Then comes a layer of mascarpone mix, another of lady fingers and finish with mascarpone. Leave it in the fridge for at least 6 hours and usea a sieve to sprinkle cocoa powder on top before serving.
That’s it! Cook it and I promise you’ll love it 🙂 Comment below what you thinkof this recipe 😀