If it has oatmeal it counts as breakfast, right? These bars are A-MA-ZING. Addiction warning though, because once you have one is hard to stop yourself for more. And because one set of chocolate chips is not nearly enough, I used white, milk and dark chocolate chips, which are optionally joined by toasted hazelnuts. The dough is nice and soft but the oatmeal and hazelnuts add a nice crunch. If you can’t get chips, use chocolate couverture and chop into small squares. Enjoy these beauties 🙂
Portions: 24 squares
– 250g butter, soft at room temperature
– 100g brown sugar
– 1 egg
– 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
– 140g all purpose flour
– 180g rolled oats
– 1 tsp salt
– 80g dark chocolate chips
– 80g milk chocolate chips
– 80g white chocolate chips
– 60g hazelnuts (optional)
1. Whisk the soft butter with the sugar until very smooth
2. Add the egg and vanilla essence and whisk until smooth again.
3. Add the flour, cinnamon and salt and mix together with a spatula
4. Toast the hazelnuts on gentle heat (they burn easily) and cut them in half across
5. Add the hazelnuts, oats and chocolate and mix. Spread on a paper-lined baking pan and into the oven at 180C for 10-15min or until nicely golden on top.
6. Let cool completely and take out lifting the paper. Cut out the edges and then cut into squares.
These are perfect for a breakfast pampering or tea time, even an after lunch treat. They are really amazing, you’ll love them 🙂