Scones are delicious for breakfast and tea time. I’ve had tons during the last few years and I have to say that these are by far the best I’ve ever has. They’re super moist and that lemon flavour is jut great. A good replacement for poppy seeds are black sesame seeds.
- 250 g all purpose flour plus more for dusting
- 40 g sugar plus extra for topping
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 lemon zest
- 80 g unsalted butter
- 100 ml milk
- 20 ml lemon juice
- Mix all the dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder, sugar, poppy seeds and lemon zest). For zesting I use a microplane or the fine side of a grater.
- Add the butter in cubes and freshly removed from the fridge and use your fingers to pinch the butter into the flour until you get a wet sand-like texture and no large lumps of butter remain. For further reference watch the YouTube video 🙂
- Make a hole in the center and add the lemon juice and milk. Mix first with a spatula and then finish to incorporate with you hands.
- Let rest for 30min in the fridge covered in cling film.
- Roll out the dough to 2cm thickness and cut out the scones. I used a 7cm cutter. You can also do triangles with a knife.
- They go into a pre-heated oven at 180C for 20min or until nice and golden.
- Serve warm with butter and honey 🙂
Tried this recipe?Mention @CravingsJournal or tag #RecipeCJ!
These are lovely and SO DARN GOOD!! Remember to tag me on your photos of my recipe 🙂