A Strawberry Cobbler is a delicious dessert that is easily made in less than an hour. The result is a juicy, fruity base that’s slightly thick, with a crispy and tasty batter on top. It’s perfect for serving with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
A cobbler is a classic American dessert made with different types of fruits. It has a fruit filling at the bottom and the batter on top. Everything is baked in the oven and that’s how it all comes together. Since it doesn’t have a solid base at the bottom, it’s served with a spoon and into an individual bowl, similar to a crumble. It’s eaten with a spoon, ideally still warm out of the oven. Strawberry Cobbler is perfect because strawberries are very juicy and sweet. When cooked, they get extra intense. With that crispy batter on top, they’re really delicious and even more so with the addition of pecans.
Ingredients in a Strawberry Cobbler
What I love about this Strawberry Cobbler is that the ingredient list is very simple, easy to get and it doesn’t require anything fancy. For the filling, you’ll need:
- Strawberries: Use sweet, ripe strawberries for the best result. If they’re off-season, you can use frozen. In that case, you want to bake just the filling (strawberries still frozen) for 15 minutes. Mix everything together again and then add the top and bake for the total amount in the recipe.
- Sugar: The sugar will add extra sweetness to the strawberries and maximize their flavour.
- Cornstarch: Cornstarch is in charge of thickening the filling. Strawberries have a lot of liquid in them so it’s an important ingredient that turns the filling from soup to silky.
- Cinnamon and salt: these are both enhancers of flavour in this formula. That bit of cinnamon goes amazing with the strawberries and the salt also enhances all the flavours.
For the batter that goes on top of the Strawberry Cobbler you will need:
- Butter at room temperature: The butter is the base of the recipe and helps us get a tasty batter that expands in the oven.
- Sugar: Of course, this batter needs some flavour and the sugar is here to provide it.
- Salt: To balance out the flavours in the dessert, we need a bit of salt. Salt also opens up your tastebuds so you can get a better overall sense of the flavours.
- Baking powder: Baking powder makes the batter fluffy when baked instead of a solid block of flour and butter.
- Flour: The flour brings all the ingredients together to form the final batter.
- Pecans: These are optional and can be replaced with other nuts, but I always love the addition of pecans to fruit-based desserts.
How to Make a Strawberry Cobbler
A Strawberry Cobbler can be made in under an hour. It’s really easy to make! To make the filling, you just need to mix all the ingredients. Place the filling in a 30x20cm/12x8in baking dish and spread it out. On top of that, you need to place the batter which also comes together by mixing all the ingredients. First, you cream the butter with the sugar and then the rest of the ingredients go in. To place the batter on top I like to use a large cookie scoop, it’s the perfect measure! The dessert is baked for 25-30 minutes or until the surface is very golden and the filling is bubbling.
Tips for making this dessert
This Strawberry Cobbler is extremely easy to make, but here are a couple of extra tips so that you get a perfect result every time:
- The batter expands in the oven quite a lot, so I recommend that you only place batter in about 6 spots in the dish, without making an effort to cover the strawberries. I think it’s nice to be able to see the filling below.
- You can reheat this dessert easily by baking it at 150C/300F for 10-12 minutes. In that way, you always have a warm dessert to serve and the top stays crispy.
- Well, that’s it! 🙂 I don’t have any more tips, this recipe is just too easy, lol!
How to serve Strawberry Cobbler
Strawberry Cobbler is the best when it’s warm. It’s still good when it’s cold, but it just shines when it’s warm. To top it off, you can buy or make vanilla ice cream. The difference in texture, temperature and flavour makes it really the best option. Now, if you’re more of a whipped cream person, you can also use that instead! It also adds a contrast to the cobbler yet it’s of course more airy. Serve the cobbler using a large spoon so you can get all of those strawberry juices and serve them in individual bowls or dishes. You also want to hand out spoons instead of forks for this one.
Strawberry Cobbler Recipe
For the filling
- 1 kg strawberries whole, leaves off. If too large, cut them in half.
- 100 g sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
For the batter
- 70 g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 70 g sugar
- 60 ml milk
- 80 g all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 50 g chopped pecans
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Vanilla ice-cream
For the filling
- Mix the strawberries with the rest of the ingredients.
- Place the mix in a 30x20cm/12x8in baking dish.
For the batter
- Using a whisk or electric mixer, mix the butter with the sugar.
- Add the baking powder and salt and mix them in.
- Add the milk ad flour and also incorporate them with a whisk until you have a homogeneous mix.
- Add the chopped pecans and mix them in with a spatula.
- Place generous tablespoons of batter on 5-6 spots of the baking dish on top of the strawberries. Here the objective is not to cover them completely because they look pretty. Consider also that the batter expands in the oven.
- Dust the batter with sugar.
- Bake the cobbler in a preheated oven at 180℃/350℉ for 25-30min or until nice and golden on top. Also, the filling should be bubbling.
- Once it's add of the oven, you can sprinkle more pecans on top. Serve with vanilla ice cream.