This dessert is absolutely decadent: layers of sliced bananas, chocolate chips, salted caramel, cheesecake mix and peanuts. You can use other fruits or berries if you prefer but the mix of bananas, chocolate and peanut are really one of my favourite.
The salted caramel is also astounding. Once you get the hang of it you’ll make it for all your desserts and ice creams.
The cheesecake mix is so simple to make. And that’s the beauty of layering flavours: they can be very simple on their own because the money is in their combination.
If you prefer you could use peanut butter instead of the chopped peanuts you can also do that, just make sure that layer isn’t next to the caramel so that similar textures aren’t together.
If you don’t like bananas (apparently there are people who don’t like them), you can use berries and it will also work nicely.
I really hope this dessert is an inspiration to you and that you can imagine what other ingredients you can layer for an impressive effect.
You don’t need to do it in a jar either, it will look amazing in a large glass bowl or trifle mould and then everyone can grab a large and amazing spoonful.
- 200 g sugar
- 100 ml whipping cream warm
- 1 tsp salt
- 220 g cream cheese soft, slightly warm
- 100 ml whipping cream
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
Also layered in
- 100 g unsalted peanuts chopped
- 100 g chocolate chips
- 2 bananas sliced
- Start by spreading evenly a thin layer of some of the sugar on a pan at medium heat.
- As it melts, add another thin layer of sugar on the spots where it has melted. Continue this until you have used all the sugar.
- Wait for it to melt completely. If you need to stir it, use the handle of the pan to move the sugar around the pan, but don't use any tools or it will crystalize. For further reference, watch the video above.
- Add the warm cream and whisk until it's nicely mixed. Add the salt.
- If it seems too thick, you can add a bit more cream or water.
- Let cool to room temperature on the side.
- Mix the cream cheese with the (sifted) icing sugar until even.
- Add the cream and whisk again until smooth
- Make layers of all the ingredients as you prefer. For me it was: cheesecake, peanuts, bananas, chocolate chips, caramel, cheesecake and top with more of the other components.
- Keep in the fridge