Welcome to salad week! I’ll be sharing new salad recipes with you from Monday to Sunday. With these recipes you can ditch those boring salads you often recur to :). The first salad is this Cajun Shrimp Cobb Salad which is a delicious twist to a classic Cobb that usually has pan-fried chicken.
Cajun Shrimp Cobb Salad
The cajun mix that I use for this Cajun Shrimp Cobb Salad is spicy but not SUPER spicy. You can adjust the level of peppers according to what you like and tolerate. This spice mix can also be used to pan-fry chicken or fish. I actually do this quite often because it packs a punch of flavour. This touch of spices makes this salad much more interesting than just chopped veggies with chicken.
Substitutions and additions
A few other ingredients that you could add or substitute in this Cajun Shrimp Cobb Salad with are sautéed mushrooms, cherry tomatoes cut in four, cheeses like feta or goat cheese, a nut, etc. The idea is that you take this salad recipe and use it as inspiration. On certain occasions, you might not have absolutely every ingredient at hand. However, you could have a few elements that remind you of the flavour profile and can adapt it. Also, I invite you to visit my salads section which has a lot more options for you :).
Yesterday, when I made this Cajun Shrimp Cobb salad, I uploaded a few stories about the process to my Instagram account. From those stories, I got the most questions about the hardboiled eggs. Whenever I order a dish that has hardboiled eggs in it, I get scared. There’s nothing worse than receiving an egg yolk surrounded by a horrible grey layer. It looks so unappetizing! I cannot stand it, lol. What you need to do (regardless if the egg was in the fridge or not) is to place the egg in a pot with cold water and over high heat. When you notice it starts to REALLY boil then you time it for 8 minutes. Once it has boiled you can adjust the heat so that it doesn’t splatter if needed. Once that time has passed you remove the egg from the water. Immediately place it in cold water to stop the cooking process. What the boiling signals is that both the egg and water have heated up at the same time. In this way, you will have a perfect Cajun Shrimp Cobb Salad.
Para la mezcla cajún
- 1 tbsp paprika
- ½ tsp dry oregano
- ½ tsp dry thyme
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
For the salad
- 150 g sliced pancetta or bacon
- 500 g raw shrimp, peeled and deveined + salt and 2 tbsp olive oil
- 100 g cook corn kernels
- 4 eggs
- 250 g iceberg lettuce
- 1 avocado cubed
For the dressing
- 100 g mayonnaise it can be light
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ lemon juice only
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Milk any kind
- Salt and pepper
For the cajun mix
- Mix all the ingredients and you're done! I usually do 4 recipes in one go and store what I don't use for later.
For the salad
- Place the pancetta slices on a pan over medium-low heat. It will start to render its fat and become golden. Once golden, remove it from the pan and place it on kitchen paper. Once cold, chop it up.
- Mix the shrimp with the olive oil, salt and cajun mix. Preheat a non-stick pan to medium heat and cook the shrimp approximately 2 minutes per side. Remove them and wait for them to cool down.
- For the hardboiled eggs, place them in a pot with cold water (it doesn't matter if your eggs were in the fridge or not). Place the pot over high heat and time 8 minutes from the moment it starts to boil. Remove them and place them in a bowl with cold water to stop the cooking process. Then peel them and cut each egg in 8.
- Chop up the lettuce and place it at the bottom of the bowl. On top arrange the avocado, shrimp, corn, pancetta and eggs.
For the dressing
- Use a whisk to mix the mayonnaise, mustard, orégano and olive oil.
- Add the milk little by little and mix it in until you like the texture. Add salt and pepper to taste.