These grissini or breadsticks are a favourite of mine. For halloween I made them a bit thicker and added black sesame seeds as eyes to resemble cute snakes :). The perfect halloween snack if you ask me! And if you want to make them as regular grissini just make them thinner and that’s it ;).
For some reason I don’t fancy gross food for Halloween and much prefer cute stuff. Even though snakes are not particularly cute in our world, they look quite nice in their grissini version.
I really love how they turned out with the black sesame seed eyes. They make them look like really friendly snakes.
And of course how could we ignore how DELICIOUS they are with all that oregano and parmesan cheese. They can be perfectly enjoyed by both kids and adults.
- 2 1/4 tsp instant yeast
- 390 g all purpose flour
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 20 g freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 60 g olive oil
- 240 ml lukewarm water
- black sesame seeds for the eyes
- Put everything in the mixer, dry ingredients first. If you're not using instant yeast make sure you use the right amount equivalent and add it to the lukewarm water with the sugar first until dissolved and then add to the rest of the ingredients.
- Use the dough hook on your stand or hand mixer and knead on high speed for 10min. Start slow first so you don't get covered in flour.
- Let rest for 30min.
- Divide the dough into balls. Cover them with a cloth so they don't get a skin and start rolling them out into the snakes. Make sure on one side it's thicker for the head and the other thinner for the tail.
- Put them on a tray with baking paper and try to get them to look like they're crawling.
- Use a bit of water to stick the black sesame seeds as eyes on the grissini.
- Bake at 220C for 15min or until golden