I love these lime and chia muffins! The mix of lime, chia and the crumble on top is amazing. They really make a delicious bite. The other thing I love about these muffins is that they really have a lime flavour, you don’t have to look for it because it’s there. And the chia seeds give us extra texture and flavour within.
The other thing I love about this recipe is the honey that’s in the dough, it really adds a ton of flavour to the mix.
Oh, by the way, the crumble that’s on top of these muffins is the same one as in the berry bars we did some time ago. I like it because it’s very crumbly and light.
Did you notice that the muffin case is made of baking paper? I love to make my own cases because they look really charming. To make them cut 12cm squares of baking paper and then lay them inside your muffin mould.
So there you go, these muffins are perfect to have with a cup of coffee or tea for breakfast. Remember to send me a picture if you make them 🙂
- 90 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 175 g sugar
- 2 limes, zested
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
- 175 g all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 30 g unsalted butter, cold and cut in cubes
- 65 g all purpose flour
- 75 g brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- With a whisk mix the butter, lime zest and sugar until you have a creamy texture.
- Add the eggs and oil and mix again.
- Add the honey, lime juice, milk, chia seeds and mix.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt and mix with a spatula until you have a homogeneous mix.
- Put mix inside each muffin case in the mould.
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl and pinch the butter with your hands along with the other ingredients so the butter cubes become smaller and smaller. Stop when you can't feel any lumps of butter and it looks like wet sand.
- Put the cumble on the muffins.
- Take to a preheated oven at 180C for 20-25min or until the dough is completely cooked. You know this has happened when you insert a knife or skewer down the center and it comes out without any uncooked dough.
- Decorate with a mini slice of lime cut in 4.