You know that I looove the Peruvian version of dulce de leche and that’s why I just had to make a manjar blanco lava cake; I just needed it in my life. I like manjar blanco better because it’s less caramelized and so has a more sutil taste to it, it’s also a bit less sweet.
It took me two tries to nail this recipe and that’s the main reason why there’s no video going along with it. We actually filmed a whole video with a recipe but I just wasn’t convinced and had to re-do it. It’s mucho more important to share a good recipe with you guys than to post something just because I filmed it.
If you do not wish to make your own manjar blanco you can always just use dulce de leche which is easier to find in stores.
For the manjar blanco
- 400 g evaporated milk
- 400 g condensed milk
For the manjar blanco lava cake
- 250 g manjar blanco from above
- 50 g unsalted butter at room temperature + more to butter the ramekins
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 30 g all purpose flour + more to flour the ramekins
For the manjar blanco
- Put the milks in a pot on low heat and move with a spatula until it thickens. Don't stop moving or the milk will stick to the bottom and burn.
- It must look thick in the pot: if you run the spatula across the mix it should take a lot of time (5 seconds) before the base of the pot gets covered again. Then out of the pot it will thicken even more as it cools
For the lava cake
- Mix the soft butter with the manjar blanco until uniform. You can do it by hand or using a mixer.
- Add the salt, egg and egg yolk and mix once again.
- Add the flour using a spatula and mix until uniform.
- Butter the ramekins and then flour them. Make sure to remove the excess by tapping them.
- Fill them up leaving 3mm without dough and then take to the fridge for at least 1 hour and up to 3 days. This helps to decrease the risk of having a cooked center.
- Take them to a preheated oven at 200C for 12min. This time will vary depending on your oven, so try making one first and see how it comes out. Then adjust the time accordingly for the rest of them. Remember that 1 minute will make a lot of difference in the result.
- Run a thin knife around the lava cake and turn onto a plate as soon as they come out of the oven because they keep cooking inside the ramekin even out of the oven.
- Serve immediately with vanilla ice cream.