It’s not easy to give that extra flavour push to a veggie burger to make it as satisfying as a meat one. This veggie burger recipe has portobello mushrooms, black beans and a ton of flavour. It’s really yummy for vegetarians and omnivores alike.
It’s really worth it to go through each and every step of this recipe because it’s what gives the burger all the taste in the world. All the ingredients are essential to achieve the final result.
Once you make these burgers you can have them however you like. They’re specially nice with sweet sauces like ketchup and barbecue and a touch of spiciness is good too.
- Olive oil
- 120 g yellow onion
- 1/2 green pepper
- 1 garlic ground, grated or finely chopped
- 200 g portobello mushrooms you can also use button mushrooms but portobello have a bit more earthiness to them
- 200 g black beans cooked or canned
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- 60-90 g breadcrumbs
- Chop the onion finely and cook it in olive oil over medium heat until really soft and mild in smell.
- Chop the green pepper in small cubes and add to the onion. Cook until soft and slightly golden.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds stirring constantly.
- Add the mushrooms cut in strips and cook it until it releases water and then let it evaporate. We want the pan to be nice and dry.
- Now comes the important part: spread out the ingredients on the pan and don’t move them for about 30 seconds. Then move them and you’ll see that they have become golden underneath. Repeat this process around 4 times. This golden from the veggies and portobellos gives them a bacon-y taste.
- Remove the ingredients from the pan.
- Add a bit more olivee oil and also the beans. We want all of the moisture to evaporate completely.
- Once there’s no liquid on the pan placee everything we’ve cooked in the food processor along with the black beans. Pulse about four times and that’s it because we want it to be chunky instead of a purée.
- Remove the ingredients from the food processor and place them in a bowl. Add the paprika, cumin, mustard, pepper and salt. Taste the mix and adjust the level of salt.
- Add the egg and mix.
- Add the breadcrumbs little by little until you have a mix that doesn’t stick too much to your hands, a little is normal.
- Weigh out your dough and divide it in 4 hamburgers. Wet your hands a bit so it’s easier to shape them.
- Cook them in a pan with a bit of vegetable or canola oil.