Spring is here (finally) and for me, that means more fun brunches and breakfasts. These baked eggs with sausages are a real champion’s breakfast. The sausage makes for a great replacement for bacon and goes amazing with the eggs and toasts. For Javi and me it was lunch and we really enjoyed it! We’re going to be making it again very soon.
I love baked eggs, and we certainly don’t eat them enough. They’re very easy to make and the result is incredible, almost like a poached egg. The French version of baked eggs is called oeufs cocotte and are usually served in individual cocotte pots, one per person. They also usually have cream at the bottom. In this case, I used a larger dish for 2 people, but either option is good. It also has cream at the bottom but I added some parmesan cheese to it… I can’t help myself! lol. I’m sure you will love it.
I love how the baked eggs with sausages pair up. It’s perfect for brunch because it’s heavier than breakfast but less intense than lunch. the sausage is really nice with the eggs, especially with that liquidy yolk that we all love. You want to use a nice quality sausage for this because you will be tasting it a lot in the dish. To garnish I used a mix of fresh thyme and oregano which helps to balance out the flavours, but it’s not 100% necessary. Other herbs that you could use include rosemary, chives and dill.
- 2 sausages
- 4 tbsp whipping cream
- 20 g parmesan cheese finely grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 eggs
- Toasted bread to serve
- Oregano and thyme to garnish optional
- Preheat a pan over medium heat. Place the sausages on the pan and cook them for 5 minutes approximately per side.
- In a large oven-safe dish or two small (if you want to serve each person a dish) place the cream, cheese, salt and pepper. Mix them up.
- Crack the eggs and open them on the cream. Season them with salt and pepper.
- Bake the eggs in a preheated oven at 200°C / 400°F for 10-15 minutes, depending on how done you like the eggs.
- Once outside of the oven, slice the sausage and place it on top of the eggs. Finish with fresh herbs and serve with toasted bread.