To finish off ice cream weak, I really wanted to make an ice cream sandwich. This blackberry ice cream sandwich is to melt for. The flavour is really delicate, it’s creamy and perfect with the cookies from the base and top.
You can also make the blackberry ice cream without the cookies. In this case you would get 2 pints of ice cream / 1 litre of ice cream and you can double the recipe to make the usual amount my ice cream recipes yield. If you prefer, the filling can be made with raspberries as well. If you do make it with raspberries, omit the lemon juice. I add it to the blackberries to enhance the blackberry flavour but it’s not necessary with the raspberries.
Blackberry Ice Cream Sandwich
Ice Cream Sandwich with Other Flavours
Instead of using blackberry ice cream, you can make these ice cream sandwiches with any ice cream recipe you like. I also want to develop an ice cream sandwich with a chocolate cookie, let me know if you’re interested in the comments. From here on the blog you can choose any of my ice cream recipes to fill them. Here are a few ideas:
- Banana split ice cream
- Hazelnut and milk chocolate ice cream
- Salted caramel ice cream
- Mango and coconut ice cream
- Peanut butter ice cream
For the cookie layers
- 90 g unsalted butter at room temperature
- ½ tsp salt
- 50 g azúcar blanca granulada
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract or vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp milk
- 150 g all-purpose flour
- ⅛ tsp baking powder
For the blackberry ice cream
- 150 g fresh or frozen blackberries
- 25 g granulated sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp water
- 200 g condensed milk
- 300 g whipping cream cold
For the cookie layer
- Place the butter, salt and sugar in a bowl where you're going to beat it. You can use and electric mixer or a whisk. Beat the ingredients until they look creamy. If you're using a stand mixer, make sure to stop every once in a while to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a spatula.
- Add the egg and beat again until it's creamy once again. Remember to stop to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl if using a stand mixer.
- Add the milk and vanilla and mix.
- Add the flour and baking powder and mix. If you're doing it by hand you can switch to a spatula at this point.
- Divide the dough into two parts. I weigh it and divide it precisely in two.
- Cut a piece of baking paper to a strip of 20cm/8in wide by about 45cm/18in long. Place it at the base of a 20cm/8in square pan so the long sides go up the sides of the pan. You can keep them in place using paper clips like these or stick the paper in place with a bit of vegetable oil. Place half the dough in the pan and spread it out as evenly as you can with your fingers.
- Bake the dough in a preheated oven at 180°C/350°F for 9-12 minutes or until it looks set and it's just starting to become barely golden. If it becomes golden and crispy you won't be able to cut the sandwiches later.
- Repeat with the other half of the dough. Let them cool 100% before using them.
For the blackberry ice cream
- In a small pot add the blackberries, sugar, water and lemon juice. Cook the ingredients until it's very thick over medium heat. Use the spatula or spoon to smash the blackberries as they cook. Remove from the pot and let it cool down completely before following the rest of the recipe.
- Mix the blackberries and the condensed milk.
- Whip the cream and vanilla to soft peaks: you want it to be whipped and fluffy but not too much that it becomes stiff.
- Add about 1/3 of the whipped cream to the condensed milk and mix. Add the rest in and use folding motions with a spatula to mix everything together. Add the blondies and also fold them in.
- Cross two pieces of paper like the one you did before on the 20cm/8in square pan. Place the first cookie layer on top, and you want the bottom fo the cookie to be facing upwards.
- Pour the ice cream mix on top and even it out.
- Place the other cookie layer on top, with the base of the cookie facing the ice cream. Press down slightly.
- Freeze for 8 hours or overnight.
- Once the ice cream is frozen, lift the whole thing using the paper. Cut up the sandwiches and enjoy!