A nice pasta dish makes me extremely happy. After a tiring day it’s the best that you can serve me. This brown butter mushroom pasta recipe is really simple, tasty and you can switch up a few ingredients depending on what you have available.
Brown butter is extremely delicious. To make it you only have to melt the butter on a pan. The milk solids in the butter will start to sizzle. The moment they stop making that glorious sound you know it’s ready. This process gives the butter a nutty taste, making it really delicious. If you take it a step further then you’ll make black butter.
There are a few ingredients you could add to this brown butter mushroom pasta. Some include: bacon, chili flakes, sautéed onion, lemon zest, hazelnuts instead of almonds and sage or oregano instead of thyme. Whatever you use the final recipe will be delicious.
- 150 g pasta I used pappardelle
- 50 g butter + more to sauté the mushrooms
- 150 g Portobello mushrooms sliced
- 6 thyme sprigs
- 30 g dried tomatoes
- 30 g baby spinach without the stalk and chopped
- 20 g toasted slivered almonds
- 1 garlic clove minced, grated or puréed
- Salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese to serve
- Soak the tomatoes in boiling water for 10min to re-hydrate. After that time chop them nice and small.
- Place a tablespoon of butter on a pan over medium heat and use it to sauté the mushrooms. Only add a few at a time; enough to cover the base of the pan. Also let them stay still for a couple minutes before turning them over so they get a chance to become golden. Along with the mushrooms add the thyme sprigs to give the flavour.
- Remove the mushrooms from the pan and continue cooking the remaining mushrooms in more butter until they’re all golden. Remove the mushrooms from the pan and also remove the twigs from the thyme.
- Start cooking your pasta in plenty salty water. When it’s 3 minutes away from being ready continue with the sauce.
- Place the 50g of butter on a pan over medium heat. It’s ready and brown as soon as it stops sizzling.
- Immediately add the mushrooms, dry tomatoes and garlic. Stir for a minute. Add salt and pepper.
- Add the spinach and stir until it has wilted, about 30 seconds.
- Drain the pasta and pour it onto the sauce. Mix so the pasta is covered in the brown butter and serve immediately with toasted almonds and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.