Making fajitas is so good, right? I like it because you can have a nice table with lots of ingredients where everyone shares and pass them around. These chicken and mushroom fajitas are delicious and can be easily turned to vegetarian by just using mushrooms only. The fajita mix is exceptionally delicious and I use it every time I pan-fry chicken or veggies.
I served these fajitas with avocados, radishes, lettuce and homemade ricotta. The nice thing about fajitas for me is that you can use any leftover veggies in your fridge. It’s perfect to use everything in there. If you have carrots, you can grate them and mix it in with the lettuce. If you have onion you can sautée it with the chicken, etc. For another version check out my classic chicken fajitas recipe. You can also check out how I made them on the video below. The chicken prep is the same.
I always make about 6 recipes of the fajita spice mix and keep it in a container. Then when I want to pan-fry chicken and I want to give it a nice tasty spin I add it to it. I always do the vinegar + spice mix on it so it blackens nicely. Vinegar, just like alcohol, turns to sugar when it evaporates so it doesn’t taste like vinegar at all.
For these chicken and mushroom fajitas, I used corn tortillas. Before I could only find wheat tortillas so I was so excited when I found these! They’re so tasty and gluten-free. Always always always warm them up on a hot pan (no oil or anything) before serving so they’re soft, warm and slightly golden. The magic is in the deets, peeps!
For the fajitas spice mix
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
For the chicken and mushrooms
- vegetable oil
- 3 chicken breasts butterflied.
- 400 g mushrooms cut in quarters
- 2 tbsp apple vinegar / cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp fajita mix from above
- 1 avocado
- 4 radishes sliced
- 50 g ricotta
- 8 warm tortillas
- olive oil
For the fajitas mix
- Mix all the ingredients.
For the chicken and mushrooms
- Place the mushrooms in a bowl and add a tablespoon of the fajita mix and a tablespoon of the vinegar. Also, add salt and mix.
- In another bowl do the same with the chicken breasts.
- Preheat two pans over high heat. Add a bit of vegetable oil to the pan and add the chicken to one pan and the mushrooms to the other. Work in batches, adding only enough to cover the base of the pans while still having some space between each piece.
- For the mushrooms to become golden you need to leave them still for a couple of minutes so they can become golden. Then you stir and leave them still for another couple minutes.
- For the chicken it's similar. You have to cook them on one side until cooked three-quarters of the way (you know because it starts to become white) then you flip them. Depending on the thickness of the chicken, it will need 3-5 minutes on the other side.
- Cut the chicken in strips to serve.
- Slice the avocado, wash the lettuce and place ricotta on the table.
- Finish each fajita with a drizzle of olive oil.