Potatoes are one of my favourite side dishes. If you make them well, they’re just incredibly delicious. These crispy scalloped potatoes are a real obsession. I know it’s a side dish, but I would gladly have them on their own, too!
The way this dish is assembled is just gorgeous. Since the slices are placed vertically, the tips facing upwards become lovely and golden. And with that bit of cheese it has on top, it’s even better! On the inside, they’re soft and melt in your mouth like boiled potatoes. This texture combination makes this dish really special. It’s the perfect side dish to protein and a fresh salad.
I love how these crispy scalloped potatoes turn out with a 2mm or 1/10th of an inch slice thickness. When they’re thinner than this, the tips tend to burn a bit because these guys still need quite a bit of time in the oven. With 2mm it’s still thin but not too thin to avoid burning. They still have those crispy bits which are the best part of this dish. Another potato dish that’s delicious is my crispy baked potatoes as well as my parmesan roasted potatoes.
This same distribution and cooking process can be used to cook other side dishes include aubergines or eggplants, zucchini, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, onions, etc! Imagine the world of possibilities for your meals. And now that holidays are JUST around the corner (where did the year go?!) we need to think about original ways to prepare meals for plenty of people.
- 2 kg potatoes or 4,4 pounds
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 tbsp fine salt
- Pepper to taste
- 30 g freshly finely grated parmesan cheese I used Grana Padano
- Thyme leaves optional
- Peel and slice the potatoes in 2mm or 1/10th of an inch in thickness. You can use a knife or a mandolin to achieve this.
- Fit the potatoes vertically in a 22x18cm / 8.5x7in. When the mould is full, place more slices of potato in places where you see empty spaces. It needs to be super tight.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with the salt and pepper.
- Mix the olive oil and butter in a small bowl. Use a brush to paint it on the potatoes.
- Spread the cheese on top of the potatoes.
- Bake the potatoes in a preheated oven at 200°C / 390°C for 45min or until it's really crispy on top and soft underneath. To make sure they're cooked through, poke them with a pointed knife.
- Finish it off with fresh thyme leaves.