No flour? No problem. This gluten-free, no-bake strawberry crisp is crazy easy to make. It’s a quick and comforting dessert that you can make for a few people or lots of people alike. You can serve it as it is or add a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream if you feel like it.
This is an easy dessert that also happens to be gluten-free! If you need this no-bake strawberry crisp to be gluten-free, make sure that you’re using gluten-free certified oats. In general, oats have traces of gluten so you want to make sure to look for that special kind. If you can’t find those, you can just use more almonds instead. It’s also nice that it’s no-bake because I’ve received many messages from people who maintain social distancing and don’t have access to a traditional oven.
Aren’t berries the best? They always get me in a nice mood and never disappoint in desserts. In this strawberry crisp, I used fresh strawberries, but you can use frozen strawberries as well. Also, you don’t have to use strawberries necessarily. You can use any berry or even a mix, depending on what you fancy and what you find at the store. Remember, it’s ok if they’re fresh or frozen.
I love rolled oats for any dessert that has oats in them, like in my chocolate chunk oatmeal cookies. They add a lovely texture to desserts. However, if you can only get instant oats, go for it as well! You can also make the crisp with only oats, skipping the almonds, or only the almonds, skipping the oats! And if this wasn’t enough, you can replace the almonds for any nut you like. So many alternatives!
For the Crisp
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter if using salted butter, ignore the salt in the recipe. You can also replace for oil.
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 40 g flaked almonds or any other nut, chopped. Or replace with more oats.
- 40 g rolled oats or replace with nuts
- ⅛ tsp salt
For the strawberries
- 600 g strawberries tops off, cut in half or in quarters depending on their size. They can be fresh, frozen, or replaced with other berries you might have. You can even use a mix.
- 50 g granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tbsp cornstarch / cornflour
- 1 tbsp water
For the crisp
- Place al the ingredients in a pan or pot. Stir constantly over low heat until everything looks golden. Don't increase the heat or the sugar will go bitter before the nuts and oats get a chance to become golden.
- Remove from the heat and reserve.
For the strawberries
- Place everything in a pot and stir constantly over medium heat. It will take 5-10 minutes for the strawberries to soften and the sauce to thicken.
- Place the strawberries at the base of a dish and sprinkle the crips on top. You can serve like this or add a scoop of ice cream.