I know too many people that constantly skip breakfast. It’s comprehensible because sometimes we just miscalculate the amount of time we actually need in the morning or maybe some people just need to prioritize more sleep time. That’s why these granola bars are great: you can have them in the fridge waiting for you to grab one in the morning.
You should know by now that I hace an intense love affair with almonds and so of course they are the main event on these bars along with raisins. However, like I always tell you, you’re free to change the dried fruits and nuts for your favourite or maybe even add some chocolate chips.
These are definitely gooey / chewy granola bars which are by far my favourite kind. If you keep them in the fridge they keep their shape much more nicely than outside and also I like to wrap them individually in baking paper for a quick “grab and go” snack.
The most importar part in the process of making these bars is the toasting of the oats and almonds. It really makes the flavour pop. If not you might as well chew on cardboard 😉
- 200 g traditional / steel-cut oats
- 140 g almonds
- 110 g honey
- 60 g unsalted butter or coconut oil
- 50 g brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 90 g raisins
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Toast the oats in the oven at 180C for about 10min or until golden. Make sure to stir halfway through.
- Toast the almonds separately at the same temperature until fragrant.
- Put the honey, butter, brown sugar and vanilla essence in a pot over medium heat until the mix starts boiling.
- Add the rest of the ingredients off the heat in the pot and mix.
- Transfer to a mould lined with baking paper and press down hard. Take your time to do this because on it depends the stability of their shape afterwards.
- Let it cool down to room temperature and then take to the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- Take out using the baking paper and cut into bars.
- Wrap in baking paper and keep in the fridge.