Overnight oats are a really good breakfast if you’re one of those people who don’t have breakfast because they “don’t have time.” You then go to work and grab whatever’s available to you because you’re super hungry. The oats don’t need cooking but rather we simply need to put everything together in a container and wait until the next day to eat it. The oats soften with the liquid we add and so it’s ready to eat.
The thing about oats is that it’s made of complex carbohydrates (different from bread for example that has simple carbohydrates). This means that our body takes longer to break it down and so you feel full for a longer time. At the same time this means that your body is going to transform these carbs into energy in a slower, more constant pace giving you energy for a longer period of time. Simple carbs, on the other hand, give you an energy rush that’s soon over.
The other cool thing about oats is that they have a pretty natural flavour. This means that you can add lots of flavours to it and it works. They can have just honey, some nuts and of course fruit (cooked or raw). You can also mix some unsweetened cocoa powder and turn them into chocolate oats.
If you mix your oats on Sunday they will last until Friday (5 days) so it’s great because then you know you’re going to have a nice breakfast ready from Monday to Friday and so no excuses for not having breakfast. Also, if you have a small container for each day of the week you can even take it to work.
Along with the oats I also add chia seeds. They are amazing because they have antioxidants and omega-3 which is what helps us to increase our “good cholesterol”. It also has a high fiber content so it helps us maintain our feeling of being full for longer.
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oats (not precooked or quick cooking)
- 2 tsp chia seeds (optional)
- 1 tbsp sugar, honey, sweetener or maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp salt
- optional: cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, cloves, etc ground
- 3/4 cup liquid (water, animal milk, vegetable milk) reduce amount to 1/2 a cup if you're not adding chia
- Mix everything and keep in the fridge overnight. Consume the next day for breakfast.
- You can have it cold or heat it up. If you do heat it up you'll probably need to add more liquid to it.
- The oats will last 5-7 days in the fridge.