Lettuce wraps are a delicious alternative to tortillas. They’re lighter, more summery and refreshing. The most delicious part of these wraps is the thai sauce that goes with it. You can even use it as a dip for carrot and celery sticks.
I made the peanut butter for the sauce myself because then we know exactly the ingredients that are going into it, and that’s just peanuts, no additives. It’s really simple to do and works perfectly with the sauce. If you don’t have the equipment needed or the time you can buy unsweetened peanut butter and it will still work.
For the lettuce you can choose your favourite. I like this one because it bends easily without snapping like the iceberg lettuce does.
And of course, if you want to change or add veggies you can do it and let me know how it goes so I can try it next time 😉
Oh and that squeeze of lime is the perfect touch to bring out the flavour in the wrap.
For the peanut sauce
- 180 g toasted peanuts to make the peanut butter. Replace with unsweetened peanut butter.
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped or grated
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp lime juice
- water to adjust texture
For the lettuce raps
- 2 chicken breasts
- vegetable oil
- sesame oil
- 1 red pepper in strips
- 1 carrot in strips
- lime wedges
- 6-8 lettuce leaves
- 30 g toasted peanuts
For the peanut sauce
- If you're going to make your own peanut butter, start by there. Put the toasted peanuts without anything else in a food processor or a really good blender until it starts releasing its oils and becomes pasty.
- In the same food processor add the rest of the sauce's ingredients and process.
- Adjust the texture with water so that it's saucy.
For the lettuce wraps
- Cut the chicken breasts in cubes, but don't make them too small. 3cm is fine.
- Sear in a pan with vegetable oil and a few drops of sesame oil for that extra asian taste. Just put enough cubes so that the pan is covered with some space in between them. This way you know they will become golden. Add salt and pepper.
- Once the chicken is done, add the pepper and cook it a bit with more oil. Add salt and pepper.
- Make the lettuce wraps and enjoy!