I love love love desserts with cooked berries in them. Even though they’re delicious raw, when cooked they reach this whole other dimension. I love to add them to desserts! In this case, it’s a mixed berry crumble tart! The crumble is not compulsory to add but I love it because it adds a different type of crispiness than the base.
The tart dough for the base
For the base of this mixed berry crumble tart, I used my tart dough recipe. I uploaded that recipe a couple of weeks ago :). In that recipe, you’ll find as well a video where I show the step-by-step procedure to get a perfect result every time. You can use a pastry ring like me or a pie dish if you prefer. Whatever the case, making homemade dough is always more delicious than using a store-bought one. It’s a cookie-like dough that crumbles really easily and melts in your mouth; my favourite by far for a mixed berry tart!
Mixed berry crumble tart filling
The filling I used for this mixed berry crumble tart had blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. Since the filling is cooked, it’s all the same if you make this mixed berry tart with frozen berries or fresh berries :). Use whatever you can get your hands on. Also, you can use only one type of berry if you prefer. I do need to add that if you use strawberries you’re going to have to slice them or cube them. This will allow them to cook evenly. Since berries have a lot of water in them, it’s best to cook them before filling the tart shell once it’s cold. It’s because this cookie-like dough is delicious but delicate at the same time. Hence, it doesn’t do very well with liquid fillings.
The crumble on top
The recipe for the crumble in this berry crumble tart is the same one that I use in my apple crumble bars in my ebook “My Sweet Side“. If you don’t have it and you love to make sweets I really recommend it! It has spectacular recipes that you can make for yourself and for loved ones as well. The nice thing about crumbles it’s that it’s reaaaally crispy and you can make them in very few minutes. Also, if you like crumbles, you can freeze them! That way if you have leftovers you can freeze them and use them for cakes and muffins. Also, remember that you can make this mixed berry tart with frozen berries so whenever you have extra berries that are about to go bad, go ahead and freeze them for later.
Mixed Berry Crumble Tart
For the filling
- 500 g mixed berries or just one type
- 140 g granulated sugar
- ½ lime juice only
- 2.5 tbsp cornstarch / cornflour
- ⅔ tsp salt
- ⅔ tsp ground cinnamon
For the crumble
- 100 g all-purpose flour
- 100 g unsalted butter cold and cut in cubes
- 120 g brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
For the crust, make a tart dough recipe, bake it and let it cool down to room temperature before filling.
For the filling
- Mix all the ingredients in a pot. Cook them until they start to boil and you can see the base of the pot when mixing.
- Remove the filling from the pot and let it cool down completely.
- Once cold, fill the tart shell (baked and cold) with it.
For the crumble
- Place everything in a bowl and use your fingers to pinch the ingredients together. You can also do this in a food processor.
- Stop when there are no lumps of butter and the mix looks like wet sand.
- Sprinkle the crumble over the tart.
- Bake the tart in a preheated oven at 180°C / 350°F for 15-20 minutes or until the crumble is golden.
- Remove it from the oven and wait for it to cool down before cutting.
Temp for the recipe needs to be fixed. It says 180C/250F and it’s actually 350F.
Thanks for the note, I corrected it 🙂
Lorena, if I understand correctly, I need to bake already baked tart dough?
Hi! Yes, exactly