I love blondies, sometimes even more than brownies! They’re really flexible in the sense that you can add chocolate, nuts, caramel, etc to them. These chocolate chunk blondies with dark chocolate and coarse sea salt are spectacular and perfect for any occasion.
The base for these chocolate chunk blondies I’ve used before in several other recipes. I have hazelnut and white chocolate blondies, mini blondie cheesecakes and also cinnamon sugar blondies. They’re all delicious and highly addictive so don’t say I didn’t warn you! The base for the blondies is really delicious and so you can get creative with them and make other flavour combinations.
We’ve talked about the combination between dark chocolate and sea salt when I made the dark chocolate ganache tart but I want to touch on the subject again. Salt in general opens up our taste buds to flavours so you feel them more intensely. Chocolate benefits from this in particular and specially so if it’s dark chocolate. It’s also a good way of getting used to eating darker chocolates as you feel as if it’s less bitter.
Depending on the occasion you can cut the blondies larger or smalles. For example if you want to make them just to have them at home for your family or maybe for a lunchbox then you can cut them in 4x4cm or even 5x5cm squares. If you’re having people over and you want the blondies to be coffee snacks then you can cut them 2x2cm so they fit in the coffee cup’s saucer. The same goes if they’re going to be part of a table with lots of sweets where you want people to have a bite of everything.
- 120 g unsalted butter melted and cooled to room temperature
- 180 g brown sugar
- 1 egg cold, straight form the fridge
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 150 g all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 50 g dark chocolate 60-70% cacao
- 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
- Whisk together the butter, brown sugar and egg until paler in colour. You can also use an electric mixer.
- Add the vanilla essence, flour and fine salt and incorporate using a spatula.
- Fold in the dark chocolate chunks leaving a few for the top.
- Line a 20x20cm mould with baking paper and pour the mix in. Level it using a spatula and sprinkle extra chocolate and coarse salt on top.
- Take to a preheated oven at 180C for 15min.