A Shrimp Salad Sandwich isn’t probably something you eat very often. That, however, does not mean that you should have it asap! This Shrimp Salad Sandwich surprised me. I knew it was going to be good, but I never imagined it was going to be *this* good. The shrimp are slightly sweet and go amazing with the creamy mayonnaise and freshness from the herbs.
How to Make a Shrimp Salad Sandwich
To make a Shrimp Salad Sandwich, we need to take care of the filling first. For that purpose, we cook the shrimp in a hot pan with olive oil, salt and pepper. Then, we remove them and let them cool down completely. We chop half of the shrimp so that it’s easier to fill the sandwich and mix that with the mayonnaise-based sauce. Don’t forget to toast your bread and serve the sandwich with a side of your favourite chips.
How to cook shrimp
There are many ways to cook shrimp for a Shrimp Salad Sandwich and I chose the one that I believe yields the most flavour. The options I didn’t choose boiling them in water because it doesn’t do anything for the flavour. I also didn’t go for roasting the shrimp because seafood in general need so little cooking time that there’s no way they’re going to become golden in the oven. What I did choose was preheating a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat and cooking the shrimp for two minutes per side. You don’t need longer than this to have juicy, golden and tasty shrimp. Remember that while the shrimp are on the pan, it’s best not to move them around so much so that they can really get caramelized. Also, make sure your shrimp and clean and shell-less before you begin.
Tips for the best Shrimp Sandwich
If you know me, you know I can’t resist the urge to give you extra tips so that you make the most perfect Shrimp Salad Sandwich ever.
- The bread: Half of the sandwich is the bread so it’s important that you choose a nice one. In my case, I used a Hawaiian-style hot dog bun that’s slightly sweet and very soft. Try to avoid dry bread that might make chewing a bit of a hard experience.
- Toast the bread: Now that you have your perfect bread for the Shrimp Salad Sandwich, it’s time to toast it. In my case, I toasted it by spreading a thin layer o mayonnaise on the inside and then placing it face-down on a frying pan. The result is a lovely golden colour and it also prevents the filling from getting the bread wet.
- Use raw shrimp: I really get the chills every time I see someone buying pre-cooked shrimp to later cook them again at home. Shrimp need very little cooking to be completely cooked. Cook them for longer than that and they go chewy and dry.
What to serve Shrimp Salad Sandwich with
This time I thought it would be fun to serve the Shrimp Salad Sandwich with a side of chips. It could also be with homemade french fries or even a salad if you prefer. To be honest, it’s hard to think of a side that isn’t a type of fried potato, they’re just the best! The other element I think is nice to include is a wedge of lemon to use on the sandwich right before eating it. You know that seafood and lemon go so well together!
Other sandwich recipes
If you’re a sandwich lover like me, I have other sandwich recipes other than this Shrimp Salad Sandwich you might like. As a matter of fact, I have a whole section of sandwiches that you can explore. Here are a few recipe suggestions I really like:
Shrimp Salad Sandwich Recipe
For the shrimp
- 500 g shrimp clean and without shell
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
For the filling
- 6 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill or 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 tbsp green onion only greens, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
For the bread
- 4 hot dog buns
For the shrimp
- Preheat a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the olive oil, half the shrimp and dust with salt and pepper. After two minutes, flip them.
- Remove them from the pan, and repeat the previous step with the rest of the shrimp. Remove them from the pan and reserve.
- Once they have cooled down, chop half of the shrimp into medium pieces.
- Mix all of the shrimp with the ingredients for the filling. Taste and adjust the level of salt and pepper.
For the bread
- Open the bread in half and spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on both sides of the inside.
- Toast the bread in a large pan over medium heat, mayonnaise side down. After a couple of minutes, it should be toated and you can remove it.
- Fill the bread with the shrimp mix.