Many of you are diving deep into the world of Sourdough which means that you now have a starter and one of the things that doesn’t let you sleep at night is that you need to discard a portion of your starter every time you feed it. I really want to talk more about sourdough, and so I’m ready to start to make tons of discard recipes :). These sourdough discard crackers are VERY crispy, delicious and highly addictive. Once you start to eat them you won’t be able to stop!
If you haven’t started yet on this journey and you feel extremely curious, check out my post on how to make a sourdough starter. There, I tell you how to make and keep a sourdough starter so you can make delicious bread and many more recipes! You can check out all my sourdough recipes in my sourdough section. I’ve had my starter for almost 2 years now and I love it with all my heart. His name is Joe. Why does it have a name? Well, when you feed something this often you end up naming it.
These sourdough discard crackers are obsession-worthy. I’ve had them on their own as a snack and also as part of a cheeseboard. Once you start you cannot stop eating them! In the photos yo use three flavours: neutral, turmeric and paprika with orégano. You can choose any of them or come up with a flavour of your own creation. Also, there are two shapes in the photos: long ones that serve more like breadsticks and then the crackers that have plenty of uses.
In the photos, you will also notice a dish with hummus that I know you’ll ask about. It’s my hummus recipe which I ADORE. I would eat it on its own with a spoon, but I have to admit these crackers make it better somehow! Also, as you can see, the crackers look great as part of a cheeseboard. I recommend that you check out my post on how to make an Instagram-worthy cheeseboard to make a really impressive board next time.
- 150 g mature sourdough starter discard bare in mind that your starter needs to be at least 7 days old before you can use the discard.
- 1 tbsp olive oil + more for painting on
- 1 tbsp water
- 100 g all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- Salt flakes optional but delicious
- Optional: 1 tsp of turmeric or 1 tsp paprika + ½ tsp oregano
- Add the water and olive oil to the starter discard and mix. Add the salt, flour and also the spices if you're using any. Mix.
- Knead just enough to get a homogeneous dough.
- Wrap the dough and let it rest for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Roll out the dough really thinly with a rolling pin on a floured surface. Make it 1mm thin. You can then cut it in strips or squares. Place them on a baking tray with baking paper or silpat.
- Paint the crackers with a thin layer of olive oil and sprinkle them with salt flakes.
- Bake the crackers in a preheated oven at 180°C/350°F for 8-10 minutos.