So I hear that you have a great cinnamon roll recipe but don’t have the perfect cream cheese frosting to go with it! Well, I gotchu! This cream cheese frosting for cinnamon rolls has the perfect texture and taste to top any flavour of cinnamon rolls you love.
How to make Cream Cheese Frosting for Cinnamon Rolls
The frosting for cinnamon rolls is made really quickly. You’ve already spent a nice amount of time making cinnamon rolls, you don’t want to spend more time than necessary on the toppings. To make it you will just whisk together the ingredients until they become smooth. I like to add the cream little by little so that I don’t get any lumps in the final result.
Ingredients for Cinnamon Roll Frosting
For my cinnamon roll frosting recipe, you only need 4 ingredients. It’s a completely different recipe than the cream cheese frosting I would use for a carrot cake which is much firmer and has butter.
- Cream cheese. This is of course the main ingredient. It adds thickness to the frosting and gives it its classic taste. I don’t like to use butter because it melts easily if the cinnamon roll is warm and then it just feels greasy when you bite into them.
- Vanilla. To flavour the frosting, I use vanilla extract. You can also use vanilla bean paste or even vanilla essence if you prefer.
- Icing sugar. Icing sugar will sweeten the cream cheese frosting without adding any texture, which is ideal. You don’t want to feel sugar granules in your frosting!
- Cream. The cream will make the cream cheese have a more liquid texture so that it’s not just plain cream cheese. It will also make it extra creamy.
How to use and store Cream Cheese Frosting for Cinnamon Rolls
To use this cream cheese frosting on your cinnamon rolls, you just spread a generous amount on the rolls. You can do it when they’re warm or at room temperature. Ideally, do it just before eating them so that it doesn’t dry up or crack. I also like to place a bit more of the frosting on the table because people usually reach for more. To store it, keep it in an airtight container in the fridge until it’s time to use it.
Other uses for this recipe
This cream cheese frosting isn’t only for cinnamon rolls! I use a variation of this recipe to also top loaves like in my apple and carrot loaf. It’s thicker, with less cream, and is perfect for spreading since it doesn’t melt. You can also use it for filling cookies, also with less cream. Finally, it’s also a great recipe to use as a fruit dip. Strawberries and bananas dipped in this recipe are amazing!
In case you need a cinnamon roll recipe…
Now that you have the cream cheese frosting, I’m wondering if maybe you need a cinnamon roll recipe! I have plenty of variations here in my blog so feel free to look around. The ones in the photo above are my apple cinnamon rolls.
Cinnamon Roll Frosting Recipe with Cream Cheese
- 110 g cream cheese at room temperature
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 30 g whipping cream
- Whip together the cream cheese, vanilla and icing sugar.
- Add the cream little by little, whipping it in.
- Spread the frosting onto the rolls.